2018 CAPDHHE National Conference
You say you want a [R]EVOLUTION!
Equity and Inclusion in Challenging Times
Date: Monday, May 7, 2018 to Wednesday, May 9, 2018 (followed by the White Privilege Conference at Ryerson University, May 9-12, 2018)
Location: Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario
May 7, 2018 is a pre-conference day, which will be of interest to CAPDHHE members with an evening reception and guest speaker. Please save the date and stay tuned for details!
May 8 & 9, 2018 are devoted to the main conference and will focus on the challenges of human rights and equity work in the post-secondary sector. (Some overlap with WPC on May 9.)
We are pleased to welcome our 2018 CAPDHHE Conference Chair: Tanya (Toni) De Mello, Director of Human Rights, Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Ryerson University
- Freedom of Speech v. Academic Freedom v. Hate Speech
- Practical challenges of our work – under-resourcing, increasing caseloads, legalistic nature of the work, formal investigations, case management tracking, recording of conversations etc.
- Implementation of Sexual Violence Policies/Legislation
- Global to Local Movements Affecting our Campuses: Indigenization of the Curriculum, Truth and Reconciliation Commission – Calls to Action, Anti-Black Racism issues, #metoo Campaign, Fighting Against White Supremacy and Islamophobia, Cannabis Legalization, etc.
- Social Media impact on our work.